Saturday 2 August 2008

Star Trek: TOS 3.12 - Plato's Stepchildren

Review 66 - Episode 67

The One where Kirk and Uhura kiss.


This episode has become famous solely on the back of Kirk and Uhura kissing, which back in the 60's broke new ground as the first inter racial kiss. I was intrigued to see it, but I feel it's a bit of a cheat as they are both being mind controlled and the way it is shot means you don't see their lips touch. I suppose back then it was still a big deal, but this is a case of the legend being embellished over the years. Still, fair play to Star Trek for being the first to do it.

The episode is pretty average though, God like beings force the crew to act out their whims and clothe them in greek togas. Again, I feel I've watched this already and I was glad when it was over. Gets a bonus point for the kiss.

3/5
Overall Star Trek Franchise Rating so far: 191/330

No comments: